New Online Certification Portal
ASIS has launched our new certification portal, which provides a more user-friendly experience for both exam applicants and those recertifying.
ASIS members and those who have applied for or taken an ASIS certification exam, already have a login to the new portal. Those new to ASIS should follow the prompts to set up your account.
IMPORTANT: Please click the Calculate Hours button before adding new CPE credits in order to ensure your CPE total hours are correct.
Why Apply for the APP?
ASIS developed this certification program to provide the first “rung” on the security manager’s career ladder. Earning the APP will show your colleagues and supervisor that you have mastered the four domains of this APP:
- Security Fundamentals
- Business Operations
- Risk Management
- Response Management
What's on the Exam?
The APP examination consists of 100 scored multiple-choice questions and may also contain 25 randomly distributed pre-test (unscored) questions for a total of up to 125 questions. The exam is 2 hours long and takes into consideration the review of pre-test items.
The exam covers tasks, knowledge, and skills in four primary domains that have been identified by professional investigators as required areas of competency in this field.
- $200 ASIS members
- $350 nonmembers
|Security Management Experience*||Education|
|One year||Master's degree (or international equivalent) in Security Management|
|Two years||Bachelor’s degree (or international equivalent) in Security Management|
|Three years||Bachelor’s degree (or international equivalent) in any discipline|
|Four years||No higher education degree|
*Security Management experience is defined as the individual having been personally engaged in security or loss prevention on a full-time basis, or as a primary duty. Included is:
- Experience as a security professional in the protection of assets, in the public or private sector, criminal justice system, government intelligence, or investigative agencies.
- Experience with companies, associations, government, or other organizations providing services or products, including consulting firms, provided the duties and responsibilities substantively relate to the design, evaluation, and application of systems, programs, or equipment, or development and operation of services, for protection of assets in the private or public sectors.
- Experience as a full-time educator on the faculty of an accredited educational institution, provided the responsibilities for courses and other duties relate primarily to knowledge areas pertinent to the management and operation of protection of assets programs in the public or private sectors.
The chart below shows how the eligibility requirements would be altered for those holding the new APP designation.
|CPP||With Degree||No Degree|
|Current Experience Requirements||7 years||9 years|
|With an APP||5 years||7 years|
|PCI||With Degree||No Degree|
|Current Experience Requirements||5 years||5 years|
|With an APP||4 years||4 years|
|PSP||With Degree||No Degree|
|Current Experience Requirements||4 years||6 years|
|With an APP||3 years||5 years|
- Other eligibility requirements for the CPP, PCI or PSP still need to be met (e.g., responsible charge or case management)
- The APP designation would be expired if candidate obtains the CPP (you cannot hold both designations at the same time)
- Those who are already PCI- and/or PSP-certified will be eligible to take the APP exam (provided they meet the requirements of the individual program)
- CPPs will not be permitted to take the APP exam
Review all the policies and procedures you’ll need to follow to apply, study, and sit for each exam, including familiarizing yourself with the exam contents for each program.
Assess your readiness for each of the certification programs. Use this tool to help you decide which exam is right for you and to set your study plans.
The publications listed below comprise the recommended APP reference materials, which include five Standards and two volumes from the ASIS Protection of Assets. ASIS offers the following individually or in bundles.
- Security Management Standard: Physical Asset Protection
- Security and Resilience in Organizations and their Supply Chains - Requirements with Guidance
- Workplace Violence Prevention and Intervention Standard
- Risk Assessment
Protection of Assets Volumes
- Protection of Assets: Security Management
- Protection of Assets: Crisis Management
ASIS offers three pricing bundles for the APP: