As a continuous learning organization, ASIS desires to focus its DE&I efforts on activities that support the organization, continuing to think beyond from what is and where we are, to what is possible for our future. As we learn, we will test, evaluate, and modify activities. Finally, the association will measure its progress and celebrate successes along the way.
Our guiding principles for DEI efforts include the need to:
- Develop a better understanding of each other across the association and create an environment where people can be themselves;
- Create opportunities to celebrate similarities and differences as well as opportunities to inspire;
- Deliver better outcomes for everyone;
- Treat people with respect;
- Develop a culture of belonging; and
- Create a sense of commitment and accountability.
In 2020, ASIS President Godfried Hendriks appointed a volunteer task force to partner with ASIS staff with the goals deliberating the merits of DE&I and determining how it related to the association's development and culture. At the same time, an internal ASIS HQ task force was formed to ensure the operation mirrored expectations for the membership. These two teams, working together, are dedicated to creating, promoting, and supporting diverse, equitable, and inclusive communities of security management professionals, ASIS chapters and volunteer leaders, and ASIS staff members. In these environments, every individual is welcomed into the community and accepted and valued for their contributions, able to achieve their full potential without barriers.
For ASIS, diversity, equity, and inclusion are not fads. This is a journey that we have been traveling on and learning from since 2016. It is also a campaign that ASIS will deliberately continue to incorporate into the association's future.