Skip to content

​​​Flickr photo by Mike Boswell​

Multiple People Shot in Maryland Newsroom

​​what we know

​Alleged gunman Jarrod W. Ramos opened fire with a pump-action shotgun at The Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Maryland.

Five employees were killed:Rob Hiaasen, Wendi Winters, John McNamara,Gerald Fischman, and Rebecca Smith​. Click on each of their names to read more about these individuals as written by their former colleagues.

Ramos is in custody and has been charged with five counts of first-degree murder.

Ramos had a history of grievances with The Capital Gazette, including a defamation lawsuit that was dismissed in 2012.

ASIS International has made availablesoft target and active shooter resources for security professionals.

Security Management will continue to update this post as more information is confirmed. Shooting demonstrates vulnerabilities of run. hide. fight. response

UPDATE 5:00 p.m., June 29, 2018

The Capital Gazette, like many newsrooms and office spaces, has an entirely open floorplan, with glass windows all around the room, reporters working at desks in the middle, and half-walls along one side for editors' offices. 

Security Management spoke to two security experts about how organizations can take into account their office plans when conducting active shooter response training. 

"Look at your workspace from a survival capability," says Kevin Doss, CPP, PSP, CEO at Level 4 Security. "If it was all open space, there are very few places to hide."

Read the full article here.​​More details emerge on shooting

UPDATE 1:40 p.m., June 29, 2018

​Alleged gunman Jarrod W. Ramosappeared in court this morningvia a livestream feed where he was ordered held while facing five charges of first-degree murder. Ramos has not entered a plea.

Ramos was identified late Thursday night using a facial recognition system after a fingerprint identification system took too long to analyze the results.

In a press conference after Ramos's court appearance, Anne Arundel County state's attorney, Wes Adams, shared additional information about the incident. The New York Times reports that Adams told reporters that the gunman barricaded the back door to the newsroom to prevent people from fleeing. One of the victims attempted to escape through that door.5:08 p.m. UPDATe

​​The suspected shooter that was taken into custody is not cooperating with officials, according to CNN. The shooter was found with no ID or identifying information on him. Five people were killed, and several are gravely wounded after the shooter opened fire with a shotgun. Police arrived at the newsroom about 60 seconds after the shooting began, according to CNN sources, and were able to interrupt the shooter and end the massacre. Law enforcement is also present at the ​Baltimore Sun out of precaution, although there have been no direct threats to that newsroom. 

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan and President Donald Trump have responded to the shooting, praising law enforcement response and offered thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families. ​

​​​4:45 p.m. Update

Anne Arundel County executive Steve Schuh announces that several people were killed in the shooting. "Those fatalities are so sad and I don't know what to say except our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families and we take comfort knowing they're in God's embrace," he said.


Original Story

Multiple people were killed in a shooting at the Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Maryland this afternoon. Anne Arundel police responded to the shooting, and one person has been taken into custody. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also responded to the incident. The building is being searched and officials are evacuating employees and reuniting them with their families. The number of casualties is unclear, but Capital Gazette crime reporter Phil Davis tweeted that he was in the newsroom when a single gunman shot through the glass door to the office and at multiple employees. He said he heard the gunman reload his weapon in the middle of the attack, and also reports that some of his colleagues are dead. In an additional interview with ​The Baltimore Sun, Davis said he and his colleagues were still hiding under their desks when the gunman stopped firing, at which point police were able to arrest him. “I don’t know why. I don’t know why he stopped,” Davis told the Sun.​

​The Balitmore Sun reports that Anne Arundel County police spokesman Lt. Ryan Frashure would not confirm the number of injuries or fatalities until the building is secured. A spokesperson for the University of Maryland Medical Centertold CNN that one patient was taken to the hospital. ​