Skip to content

AUVSI Talks FAA Progress Toward UAS Integration

05/17/2012 -

Federal, state, and local government agencies need an FAA Certificate of Waiver or Authorization before flyingunmanned aircraft systems. In March, the FAA created an office to oversee the process.

Dozens of organizations have in the past receivedauthorization to fly UAVs domestically, many for research and testing purposes, but the authorization was only good for one year. In addition to the creation of the new office, a new rule extends authorizations another 12 months. The FAA has 90 days from Monday to find a way toexpedite the authorization process.

We spoke to Ben Gielow, government relations manager at the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, about the process and what theFAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, signed into law in February, means for agencies looking to fly unmanned vehicles.

thumbnail byan honorable german/flickr