Implementing Physical Protection Systems: A Practical Guide, 2nd Ed
Publisher: ASIS International
Author: David G. Patterson, CPP, PSP
The purpose of this book is to guide security professionals in implementing physical protection systems (PPSs). It is also intended as study material for the ASIS Physical Security Professional (PSP) certification examination. The second edition represents a significant update and reorganization of the content presented in the first edition.
- Chapter 1 defines PPSs and their three major functions: preventive, corrective, and detective.
- Chapter 2 discusses the system development life cycle for security systems and explains each phase.
- Chapter 3 addresses project management, specifically tailored to implementing PPSs. Its goal is to help managers accomplish projects on time and under budget.
- Chapter 4 provides guidance on planning issues related to implementing PPSs.
- Chapter 5 outlines the important precepts of designing PPSs and preparing the design specifications that will be sent to potential bidders during the procurement phase. Chapter 5 also provides techniques for estimating PPS costs, including the concept of life-cycle costs.
- Chapter 6 explains the process of procurement, including the use of requests for proposals, sole source agreements, and invitations for bids.
- Chapter 7 examines installation issues and the development of operating procedures. The chapter stresses that these procedures should be developed during the system design process just as the hardware and software functions are developed. System tuning and training are also addressed.
- Chapter 8 emphasizes the proper commissioning of PPSs, defines the different types of testing that should be performed, and examines warranty issues.
- Chapter 9 discusses the importance of maintaining PPSs, including the use of maintenance contracts. It also examines evaluation and eventual replace of physical protection systems.
This item is also available on Kindle from Amazon.com.
Also available in Spanish.
Item #: 2063
Publish Date: 2013