ASIS International (ASIS) and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), hosted a Jan. 19 joint stakeholder meeting to address active shooting incidents. More than 100 experts from the security, fire, law enforcement, EMS, life safety, professional and government fields discussed existing resources, the crossover between security and fire disciplines, operational solutions, management procedures, building design and construction issues, and cost considerations with an emphasis on preparation and planning. The intent of the collaborative effort was, and will continue to be, to examine gaps and exchange knowledge as they relate to active shooter events.
A summary of the day’s discussions, including photos and a copy of the opening presentation, are available online. Areas of focus included:
- Defining “active shooter” and reviewing FBI statistics
- Assessing technology and management needs and budgets
- Considering public and private sector concerns
- Identifying synergies and conflicts between security, safety and fire safety practices
- Examining the status of legal and regulatory issues
Read the press release