Michael E. Knoke, CPP, Managing Editor; Kevin E. Peterson, CPP, Co-Editor
Physical Security Principles is meant to serve three purposes. First, the authors, reviewers and other contributors hope that security professionals worldwide will find it to be a valuable desk reference on aspects of the practice of physical security. Second, the book may be an appropriate text for college and CTE (career and technical education) courses related to physical security. Third, it is a comprehensive reference for those interested in obtaining a certification in physical security.
This work presents, discusses, and contracts principles and practices in a complementary fashion and demonstrates their interrelatedness in every organization and every setting on a global scale. The objective for the security professional is to leverage longstanding widely accepted concepts and tailor them to the particular situation at hand to best meet the identified protection objectives. All this must be done within the constraints of cost, time, space, culture, regulations, and operational needs. It is a challenge indeed, and this book is meant as a resource to help lay the groundwork for successful physical security projects in every situation.
Each of the book’s four sections offers practical, real-world tools for planning and implementing physical security in contemporary society:
- Part I deals with the underlying concepts of security risk management and how they translate into effective and efficient security practices
- Part II gives an overview of design principles and practices
- Part III addresses the specific tools and techniques within the framework of structural, electronics, and human means collaborating to satisfy protection objectives
- Part IV focusses on the project management aspects of security in both principle and practice
- Appendices define key security terms and address special considerations for high-rise buildings
The breadth and depth of this manual will appeal to those with a responsibility for physical security within their organization as well as veteran security professionals seeking to enhance their skills or pursuing professional credentials through certification.
This item is also available on Kindle from Amazon.com
Format: Hardcover. Also available in softcover and Spanish.