Clearance: original price $99 member, $129 nonmember
This webinar provides tools designed to enhance safety and security within the nursing home environment. First is a review of serious criminal acts that occur in this environment. Next is a summary of six steps that facility administrators can use to improve safety and security:
- Mastering interpersonal communications that affect safety and security
- Putting in place simple and effective background screening for staff and residents
- Using internal investigation procedures that reduce criminal activity
- Defining meaningful physical security countermeasures
- Partnering with local law enforcement to enhance safety and security
- Creating simple safety checklists
Preemployment screening has been successfully used to cut back on the violence and criminal conduct in nursing homes committed by staff members. Residents might still be at risk, however, from fellow residents who have not been screened or vetted. Because many nursing homes admit potentially violent individuals who possess histories of violence and criminal conduct, elderly and seriously ill residents are exposed to fellow residents who may be afflicted with mental illness, have substance abuse issues, or who have criminal histories such as sex offenders, convicted murderers, and thieves.
Recorded February 20, 2013.
CD box set; 90 minutes. This webinar may be eligible for up to two CPEs.